Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why do the blog? Re-Posted


"When you are not actively involved in pursuing
 what you want, you end-up getting what you get!"
                                                                                                                  -- Vince DelaRosa

Oneida, WI - This blog will focus on issue relating to the Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin.  I author this blog in the spirit of those that desire a different perspective on some of the issues of the day. 

What I actively want to pursue is to ensure that our government will abide by the doctrine, and live by the duty, that it will be responsive to the needs of the people. We see on the federal level, a government that is completely out of control. We cannot be that way. The people's interest and will must be at the center of all we do!  

At its core, Oneida, WI and the Oneida Tribe is a wonderful place to raise a family and work. We have quite a unique history. However, Oneida is not without its challenges. Just like any other community, policies, opinions, politics and government can clash, but there can always be a middle ground and a meeting of the minds.  This is what I aspire to do, offer middle ground thoughts and propositions on things that most people shy away from talking about. My opinions are based on my experiences as an Oneida tribal member, and as a former Councilman with the tribe.

I am fascinated by the shifting landscape of politics that goes on here in Oneida. For the better part of the last two years, I have remained below the political radar. I had great hope for the new government. I did not want to interfere. So as the time in this term has evaporated, my hope has turned to questions about a variety of decisions that have been made over the last two and a half years. I will share some of those thoughts in the pages of this blog. 

Most profoundly etched in my mind is the idea that someone should share some independent thoughts on some of the serious policy questions of the day.  I have read our tribal newspaper over the years hoping to get a feel for what is going on. I hear much, and I monitor policy issues, but I do not see the newspaper reporting strongly enough on major policy issues. 

The idea for this blog is born out of the concept that the Oneida people have great minds that can be used to form their own opinions. In most societies newspapers rigorously probe government and share various perspectives on the issues of the day. In Oneida, I do not see that occurring. This is a needed part of any society that has a functioning government. So my blog will do its part to shed some light and hopefully help illuminate just some of the issues of the day.

My review of issues will be as time permits because I cannot be everywhere covering all issues, so I offer this to my readers. If you see important issues on policy questions, please feel free to send me and e-mail and I will do my best to probe at issues which my readers might find interesting. Here is my e-mail: oneida2011@yahoo.com

Just as a side note, some of the issues that I am concerned with are outlined below here:

 
* An Annuity Per-Capita Plan    

* Fair Employee Wages
* Responsible Governance Bills                                

* Small Business Funding 
* Test For Public Office                                               

* Governmental Reforms 
* Tighter Fiscal Controls                                              

* New Education Policy                     
* Unique Health-Care Solutions

* TV Cameras in all OBC Meetings                       
* Building Homes                                              
* Enhanced SEOTS Programming                                
* Technology Advancements                                    
* Welfare Programs for Unemployed


Here are some overarching themes and questions that I have:

1.) Tribal Wages:                 
- "Big Salaries & Why Aren't the workers Making those Salaries"

2.) Housing Issues:                  
-  "So Much Money - So Few Houses?"

3.) Service: 
-  "Where is the Food Pantry?" - Is anyone helping Oneida's who have lost jobs?

4.) Government/Policies:                
-  "Whose Guarding the Hen House?"

5.) Path Ways To Change:            
 -  "Merchants of Change - The GTC"  

 -  "GTC Needs More Authority" - Budget / All Spending
 -  "How Can We Strenghten GTC's Role?"

Respectfully,
Vince DelaRosa

No comments:

Post a Comment