Popular Posts

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The First Mailer



Dear Tribal Members, Colleagues, Associates and Friends:

Over the last few months, I've had an unusually high series of request for information from various tribal members and associates, regarding information about the Oneida Tribe. As such, I have been motivated to start a blog which is centrally focused on the Oneida Tribe.

In this blog, I will try my best to cover major policy issues of the day, along with, some newsworthy items. Here is an excerpt from my first post.


The idea of this blog is born out of the idea that the Oneida People have great minds that can be used to form their own opinions. In most societies newspapers rigorously probe government and share various perspectives on the issues of the day. But in Oneida, I really do not see that occurring. This is a needed part of any society that has a functioning government. So my blog will do its part to shed some light and hopefully help illuminate just some of the issues of the day. Likewise, I cannot be everywhere covering all issues, so I offer this to my readers. If you see important issues of major policy questions of the day, please feel free to send me and e-mail and I will do my best to probe at issues which my readers might find interesting. Here is my e-mail: oneida2011@yahoo.com


I have been quiet for several years because I wanted to give the current government a chance to lead. I did not want to interfere. But this time has passed and not much leading has been going on. In fact, I have hardly heard a peep out of the leaders, nothing from a majority of them.


If it was not for Councilman Ed Delgado shouting from the mountain top occasionally, I would think nothing was going on. Take my word, there is a lot going on; some of it is positive and some of it is negative. Over the next few months, I will try to shed some light on just a few of these issues, and just hopefully we can inform some people, educates some, learn from others, and together, maybe we can foster some change which will benefit all of us!

I would also note, I have been pleased with the Treasurer, Tina Danforth's openness about the budgets issues. In fact, in her last budget packet, she was honest about the future pending deficits. Her letter did describe issues involving maintaining cost and generally how things are going, so she has been a bright spot.

FYI, as I move forward with this blog, I am very interested in probing some of the following issues:



1.) Issues relating to tribal wages:-  " What is going on with the workers salaries"
2.) Housing issues:                         -  "So Much Money - So Few Houses?
3.) Direct service to members:      -  "Is anyone helping Oneida's who have lost jobs?"
4.) Government/Policies:                -  "Whose Guarding the Hen House"
5.) Path Ways To Change:             -  "Merchants of Change - The GTC"


On the housing issue, here are a few links below to look at. Oneida must start doing more! There are Oneida families in Oneida, in Milwaukee, and in Chicago who are living, two or three families deep in one single family home or in small apartments, and there is no relief in sight. We have a multi-million dollar operation, why is there no relief? Why is the Oneida government not prepared to assist many of its people? There are many Oneida people who are underpaid, unemployed and in dire need of services and we have no solutions. Why is this occurring? 

Over the next few months I will look at some of these issues in my blog, and just maybe, if we work together, maybe we can come up with solutions that will help ourselves.

Here are the housing links:


http://www.squamish.net/files/PDF/events/SN_Land_Devlopment_Plan_dec_9_09.pdf 


If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at oneida2011@yahoo.com


Take care.

Respectfully,
Vince DelaRosa

No comments:

Post a Comment